Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Book Clubs 4 Kids

My sister-in-law is hosting an online book club to encourage kids to read. I wanted to encourage Connor to work on book reviews, participating in book discussions and enjoying dialogue with his cousins in Hawaii.



We began reading the book, MVP: Magellan Voyage Project by Douglas Evans. Connor has really enjoyed it! Al and I have enjoyed the story, as well. Two nights ago, after having reading time with Connor, we sent him to bed and then Al and I read MVP to one another in bed until I couldn't stay awake any longer. Al stayed up to finish the book.



My sister-in-law also has awesome weekly prize drawings. Connor has won 2 of the prizes. One was a monogrammed backpack, like the backpack the main character in MVP has. Another was a bookmark with a timer on it for keeping up with your reading time. One week she gave away a book and CD set for learning French, because the main character was impressed by a girl he met who spoke French.



This book club has been tons of fun for our family, check it out and share it with anyone you know who would like to encourage kids to read.

No comments: