Saturday, October 11, 2008

One of those moments

Every now and again I have one of those moments...you know those moments where you have a sort of self-realization that life is wonderful and picture perfect. One of those moments you see a snippet of on television and think, "That's what I want to happen every day!" I know these moments vary for everyone. I have a friend whose picture perfect moment would be an endless shopping spree with unlimited funds...I'm not much of a shopper so that doesn't do it for me. Or maybe a quiet afternoon on a private beach under a warm sun with waves gently kissing your toes...not for me, either.

I just had one of my moments, let me share. It's Saturday morning, a slow morning for us as there's no structure like weekday mornings when we have to get chores done and school started. So I'm still in my bathrobe at 10am, the kids are off playing and my husband has cranked up itunes on the family computer in the living room. Al has a tame playlist for the kids to listen to, we've found anything too fast or hard gets Connor going and he uncontrollable afterwards. Anyway, somehow a classical piece snuck into the playlist. Al can tolerate classical music, but in general he does not listen to it often. I, however, could listen to classical all day every day. So as I am sitting at my laptop browsing some text, a beautiful Baroque piece comes on (Adagio in G Minor) and I'm really loving it. About that time all three kids are tearing through the house, making a loop chasing one another squealing at the tops of their lungs as the dog is chasing them barking right along with them. I looked up from my computer to observe the delightful chaos and just smiled...for that one moment, life was as perfect as it gets. Those moments are so fragile, it's almost as if something magical is happening and at any second the magic could dissipate and the recognition of that blissfully perfect moment will slip from you and your left with only the memory. Maybe that is exactly why those moments are so special.

There was a time in my life that you could have NEVER convinced me that I would have 4 children, homeschooling, love to do home gardening and canning nor think that a perfect Saturday project is planning a baby quilt. My perfect moment has definitely changed over the years, but I don't think I've ever had one more fitting than the one I just had.

Heavenly Father has blessed my life in unimaginable ways. What a beautiful gift family has become to me - not just my husband and kids, but also my parents and in-laws.

No comments: