Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year

Imagine Andy Williams singing...


It's the most wonderful time of the year
There be much mistletoe-ing
And hearts will be glowing
When loved ones are near
It's the most wonderful time
It's the most wonderful time
It's the most wonderful time of the year

These words perfectly describe how I feel!


I have had a hard time getting in the Christmas spirit as I have not had the time or energy to think about Christmas much less do any shopping. However, my parents came to town a few days ago and we exchanged presents and went to the Washington D.C. temple and Visitors' Center for the Festival of Lights.


It was frigid outside...with the wind chill factored in, it was in very low single digits! We ran from the parking lot to the VC where it was warm and toasty and full of Christmas excitement. We saw the amazing photographic display Reflections of Christ. I've been waiting a long time to see these images in person...it was awesome!

After seeing the photo display we wandered over to the room where creche (nativity scenes) from around the world were on display. Here are a few of my favorites:


This one is from Japan


This one is from Poland

After feeling thoroughly warmed (physically and spiritually), we decided to brave the outdoors again and attempt to watch the live nativity. Mary and Joseph are volunteers, there is a different Mary and Joseph each night...I feel sorry for the poor couple who had to be here this extremely frigid night, but they sure did a great job!

The lights were beautiful and really made you feel like you were in some magical winter wonderland. Here is a gorgeous photo of the Washington D.C. temple surrounded by a few of the hundreds of thousands of multicolored lights that are displayed each year.


How could I not be in the Christmas spirit after seeing all of this? I even got in a little shopping the day after going to see the lights and I found I was very happy and cheerful to all I encountered. I definitely was inspired by the beauty and spirit and I just want to say a HUGE "Thank you" to all the volunteers and missionaries who make this winter wonderland possible each and every year!
Oh and did I forget to mention, Lillee and Isabel threw major fits in the middle of viewing the creche and my dear sweet husband was kind enough to take a screaming 2 year old and 4 year old in each hand and walk them through all the way through the VC (they were making a major scene with all the screaming) and took them home so the rest of us could stay and enjoy the evening.

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

i completely agree on the "reflections of Christ" exhibit. unbelieveable.

and chuck and i have been mary and joseph and it's not as cold as you think, even in single digits. you've got TONS of layers on. it's really a great experience, probably even more so for the couple than for those watching.