Sunday, December 14, 2008

The magic of a Christmas tree

We've been meaning to get our Christmas tree for the past week, but in all the hustle and bustle of a new baby and a 4 year old birthday, we failed to pick a tree. My mother-in-law, Jane, couldn't take it any longer. She headed out on Saturday, found a tree, purchased it and then sent my husband out to pick it up...when she wants something done, she knows how to do it :)

I had hoped for a nap and a chance to finish Breaking Dawn (book 4 of the Twilight saga). Neither happened...I heard the tree coming through the front door and my husband urging kids to move before he knocked them over with prickly pine needles in uncomfortable places. I just couldn't lie there trying to sleep knowing I was going to miss out on tree decorating fun. So I grabbed a blanket, made a cup of hot chocolate and snatched the camera to play photographer for the event.

Al & Connor add the lights.

Lillee gathers and prepares her favorite ornaments (read: hordes).
She adds the first ornament to the tree, a precious angel.

Everyone had a great time adding ornaments.

My little boy is not so little anymore, he's growing much too quickly!

Lillee loved the tree topper, a glittery gold and silver star (picked up at our favorite thrift store for $0.99)!

And she crowned the tree!

Isabel was so excited she stood on the sofa clapping her hands and cheering for the finished Christmas tree.

Isabel was so in love with the tree she went to give it a hug and announce, "Me love the tree!"

The real magic happened once the tree was complete. We were finally in a Christmas spirit. When we woke this morning, the Christmas lights were the first thing on followed almost immediately by Christmas music. As I made breakfast, we took breaks to dance and sing to the music and enjoy the beauty of the tree. Now the biggest challenge will be to get the kids to stop taking ornaments off the tree. Or maybe it's that I need to let go of my control issues and just let them have fun!

No comments: